Hello again! It has been far too long since I have updated the readers of this blog with the life of me, the student activities guy. Rather than write a long novel about what has happened since my last entry (again, far too long ago), I’ll try to divide it up into smaller blocks of stories.
Here is a rundown of a few of the highlights we have had since September 9th.
· September 15 - Swiftkick, an educational presentation on Facebook. It was not only educational, but gave myself and everyone in attendance a lot of laughs along the way.
· September 17 – Our first ever attempt at an outdoor Movie. We showed “The Proposal” almost a month before it was available to rent. We also tried an event at the apartment complexes for the first time ever. We set up the 13 by 15 foot big screen and had close to 200 students in attendance for the event.
· September 22 – Volleyball Tailgate. We did a volleyball tailgate again this year and chose the match against Iowa Western, a team in Division 1 (the division above us). With a packed house of fans, Kirkwood upset the D1 #5 team in the country.
· September 23 – Softball Tailgate. Similar to volleyball, we had a free cookout for the softball games while watching the Eagles cruise to a huge win.
· September 24 – Alcohol Awareness Day. We served food to hundreds of students while also educating them on the dangers of alcohol. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our outdoor movie night #2 because of rain L.
· September 29 – Student Senate held our fourth Blood Drive in the past two years and was the best we have had yet. We collected 64 pints of blood, passing our goal of 50.
· September 30 – BINGO! For the first of three Bingo days this fall, we had a good group who played the classic game while eating lunch.
October started with Family Day, Eagle Spirit Day, and led to the first campus visit of the year. I’ll recap those events in my next blog entry. Have a great day!